Friday, January 11, 2013

My First Arduino

After months of doing next to nothing with my electronics, I have finally jumped back into it.  This time I have come back with an Arduino!

I started playing with micro controllers while in college... about 8 years ago... really, 8years ago... I'm getting old.

My first micro controller was a Basic Atom Pro which used a C compiler which cost around $100 if you wanted to get into longer code (50+ lines if memory serves me correctly).

I quickly ran into issues and ended up switching to standard PIC chips (by Microchip) after a coworker, an electrical engineer, gave me a bunch of his old books and programmer.  Since then, and up to now, PIC is all I have used.

Since I began hearing about Arduino a few years ago, I considered giving it a shot... however, up until someone got me a UNO this Christmas, I had never used one.

After installing the software and about 10 minutes of playing... I regretted not switching sooner!  The majority of my time spent on the PIC was figuring out how to set the bits correctly to get something to work.  With the Arduino, although that stuff is still needed, it is all behind the scenes.. and I am glad to see it go.

I have purchased a number of shields and plan on hooking up my balancing bot (or so I hope it will balance).  I will probably update the Sumo Bot also with an Arduino...

Stay tuned...

Arduino UNO, XBee, Proto and Motor Shields

2 comments:

  1. When I first got started with XBee I took lot of time and hard work for getting the right information to help me on my working projects. I put my project on hold and spent a few months simply trying to understand XBee specifically using it with arduino. This post is a good source for understanding xbee examples with your Xbee tutorial. Your post gave lots of information regarding Xbee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smith,
      Thank you for your comment and great reference material. I am just getting into XBees and I love this type of info (cheat sheets are great!). I know the modules are far more advanced than I will be using them for, but I hope to explore there capabilities in the near future.
      Thanks again,
      -Chris

      Delete