Sunday, September 19, 2010

Project 2 - RoboSpider

While waiting for the board to complete Project 1, I decided to start designing the parts for Project 2.  For this project, I decided to build a spider robot leg, with 3 degrees of freedom.  Using my student version of Pro-E, I modeled the below.

Prototype RoboSpider Leg

The servos shown are going to be Futaba S3003 or a servo of equivalent size.  The blue parts were going to be Delrin by DuPont, until I noticed the cost (I was thinking of using Delrin because it is a great engineering plastic and I wanted to see how workable it is).  I will probably use 1/4" thick wood instead (at least for the first prototype leg).

The plan is to build one simple leg to use to develop the code needed to drive 6 legs.  I am not a programmer and have had zero formal education.  All I know has been learned from a few books but mostly from trial and error.  So there will be a lot of time between the completion of this project and the start of the 6 legged creature.  But, it should be simple geometry, how hard can it be...?

No comments:

Post a Comment